CHICAGO — A 24-year-old man is recovering after being shot in Rogers Park. Chicago police said the man was standing in the 1200 block of West Columbia around 8:09 p.m. when someone fired shots, striking him in the buttocks.
The man drove himself to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston for treatment.
Police did not release a description of the gunman.
On March 29, a 20-year-old woman received a graze wound to her back while walking up the stairs of an apartment building in the 1300 block of West Columbia, about a block from last night’s shooting.
The victim is the 16th person shot in Rogers Park this year. Official city records do not include one of those cases because it involved a 2-year-old girl who accidentally shot herself.
Rogers Park had 12 people shot as of this point last year, including one person who was shot in self-defense. There were 11 as of June 23, 2021.
Other shootings in the neighborhood this year include:
- A 33-year-old man was shot in a drive-by as he stood near the Willye B. White Park field house on June 9.
- A 19-year-old woman was shot while walking in the same park on May 22. The victim, a Northwestern University student, was walking through the park with a companion when the shots were fired, Ald. Maria Hadden (49th) said in a Facebook post. They were not the intended targets, according to Hadden.
- A 28-year-old man was critically injured by a gunman at Loyola Park on April 13. Police said a dark sedan pulled into the park’s parking lot at Sheridan and Touhy and someone opened fire on the victim from the car.
- Also on April 13, a 33-year-old man was shot in the foot when a drive-by gunman opened fire in the 1400 block of West Arthur.
- On April 6, a 33-year-old man was shot in the 7600 block of North Sheridan. Police said the man was shot while walking, but a witness reported that the man was hiding behind a dumpster when a woman shot him.
- A 23-year-old man was shot in the 1500 block of West Jonquil Terrace on March 26.
- A 57-year-old man was shot while sitting in a car in the 7300 block of North Greenview on March 25.
- Quentin Pruett, 45, of Madison, Wisconsin, was shot and killed during a home invasion in the 7600 block of North Sheridan on March 21. His family believes he was not the intended target.