CHICAGO — A man is recovering after someone shot him as he stood on an Uptown sidewalk Thursday evening, Chicago police said.
He was in the 4000 block of North Broadway, not far from a U-Haul center, when someone walked up and started shooting around 10:40 p.m., according to CPD. The 29-year-old, who suffered gunshot wounds to the left side of his body, is in fair condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. Officers said they found six shell casings at the scene.
A witness saw a possible gunman running from the scene. He was a tall Black male wearing a gray hoodie.
The police did not provide a motive for the shooting.
So far this year, seven people have been shot in Uptown. That’s down from nine at this point in 2022, 2021, and 2019. There were eight as of this date in 2020.
Recent shootings in the neighborhood include:
- On July 2, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the 4400 block of North Malden. Officers found shell casings up and down the Sunnyside Mall after two men opened fire on the victim. CPD said the gunmen fled on foot, but officials did not release suspect descriptions.
- On June 10, a 24-year-old man was shot when he went to the 4400 block of North Malden to buy a car from a social media marketplace. Police said someone tried to rob him when he showed up.
- On May 23, a 22-year-old man was shot in the leg and shoulder as he walked down the 4500 block of North Magnolia. An officer who reviewed surveillance footage said the gunman fired from a white SUV and fell out of the moving vehicle as he was shooting, but no arrests have been announced.
- A 15-year-old boy was shot in a drive-by in the 1000 block of West Lawrence on March 1. Someone inside the SUV called the victim by name, then began shooting, according to CPD.
- On January 19, a 33-year-old man was shot at a bus stop in the 5100 block of North Broadway. Police said another man walked up to the victim and shot him in the leg, but they did not provide a motive for the crime.
- A group of car thieves shot a man who confronted them as they broke into a car in the 1200 block of West Montrose on January 4, Chicago police said. The 42-year-old victim was riding a bike when he saw a man breaking into a car and confronted him about it, according to CPD. The offender pulled out a weapon and shot the victim in the elbow.