CHICAGO — At least seven people were targeted during an armed robbery spree across Bucktown, Noble Square, and West Town overnight. And Chicago police say a man was carjacked at gunpoint in the West Loop this morning.
The hijacking victim, a 53-year-old man, told police he was getting out of his Mercedes GLK in the 400 block of North Desplaines when another vehicle pulled up around 4:41 a.m.
Four men, two displaying guns, got out of the other vehicle, and one of them hit the victim in the back of the head with a firearm, a Chicago police spokesperson said.
The group robbed the victim and then drove away with his car. EMS treated the victim at the scene.
Last night’s robbery spree began just before midnight in the 1600 block of West Beach. Four men robbed a victim and their rideshare driver of phones, wallets, and a laptop, according to a preliminary CPD report.
Several of the items taken from the victims were recovered in the area.
At about the same time, a woman was robbed at gunpoint in the 1900 block of West Cortland, and a couple was targeted a few minutes later near Homer and Leavitt.
The suspects were described as Black males in their late teens or early 20s wearing masks and black clothing. They traveled in a red Ford Focus or Ford Escape bearing a dealer plate.
More robberies were reported about an hour later. Three men exited an SUV to rob a food delivery driver at gunpoint in the 900 block of North Oakley around 1:05 a.m., and another man was robbed in the 2100 block of North Campbell by men who exited a red SUV about 30 minutes later.
Robbery sprees have been popping up several times a week, with West Town, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square being particularly hard-hit. Our reporting has been exhaustive (and exhausting), but here are some recent stories:
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)