8-time felon gets 12 years for shooting a driver in the South Loop while on felony bail

Davis

CHICAGO — A man who shot a driver near the Roosevelt CTA station while on bail for a felony case has been sentenced to 12 years in prison, according to court records.

Christople Davis, 38, reached a plea deal in which prosecutors dropped the most serious charges he faced, including attempted murder, in exchange for the sentence from Judge James Obbish.

Davis was already an eight-time convicted felon when prosecutors accused him of opening fire on the corner of Wabash and Roosevelt around 9:48 p.m. on November 20, 2021. He was also AWOL from a felony case in which he faced nine counts of battering Chicago police officers.

A 36-year-old driver waiting for the red light to change at Roosevelt and Wabash suffered a graze wound to his back. He drove himself to Stroger Hospital for treatment. CPD surveillance cameras and CTA security footage both show Davis firing the gun in the victim’s direction, prosecutors said.

Cops who responded to calls of shots fired found Davis crouching behind a concrete structure with another person who was pointing at Davis, prosecutors said during his initial bond hearing.

Davis tried to get away when officers approached him, but cops managed to detain him nearby and subsequently found a loaded handgun in his jacket pocket. Prosecutors said he spit in the face of one arresting officer.

Prosecutors agreed to let him plead guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon with a previous conviction, a Class 2 felony. They dropped four more serious charges: two counts of attempted murder, aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, and aggravated discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle, according to court records.

He also entered a guilty plea in the aggravated battery case he had pending at the time of the shooting. Prosecutors reduced the felony charges to misdemeanor resisting. Judge Obbish sentenced him to a one-year sentence that will be served concurrently.

Davis was the 52nd person accused of killing, trying to kill, or shooting someone in Chicago in 2021 while awaiting trial for a felony.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com