#74: Teen was awaiting trial for a gun case when he drove a killer to shoot this man on the Stevenson: prosecutors

A 17-year-old boy has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with a Chicago expressway shooting that killed a 60-year-old man in November. Prosecutors said Alexis Perez had a felony gun case pending in juvenile court when he drove alongside the victim so his passenger could kill him.

Perez is the 74th person accused of killing or shooting — or trying to shoot or kill — someone in Chicago last year while awaiting trial for a felony. Joshua Concepcion, accused of being the gunman who fired from Perez’s stolen car, was the 73rd person to join the list when prosecutors charged him last month.

Federico Bautista is seen in family photos. | Foran Funeral Home

Around 4:19 a.m. on November 18, Bautista was driving to work when Perez, driving a stolen Jeep in the opposite direction on Damen Avenue, saw him and popped a U-turn, said Assistant State’s Attorney Melanie Matias.

Perez allegedly followed Bautista onto the Stevenson Expressway and pulled up alongside Bautista’s car as the vehicles traveled inbound near Loomis Boulevard. According to Matias, Concepcion fired 14 rounds from the back passenger seat of Perez’s stolen Jeep, striking Bautista in the shoulder and twice in the abdomen.

Bautista’s car came to a stop on the shoulder and remained there for 90 minutes until a passerby noticed it had been struck by gunfire and called police. 

Shortly after the shooting, Concepcion met up with two other people and showed them a handgun, bragging that he had just shot someone on the expressway, according to Matias.

In Facebook messages, Concepcion asked Perez if he “handled” getting rid of the Jeep, and Perez replied that it was in his garage, Matias said. Concepcion allegedly responded that he would “f*ck up” Perez if Concepcion got charged with the murder simply because Perez wanted to hold onto a stolen car, she continued.

Investigators eventually found the Jeep and located Concepcion’s DNA on the interior door handles and rear passenger side, prosecutors said. Police also found gunshot residue on the rear passenger side of the Jeep and cellphone location records allegedly put Concepcion near the shooting scene.

In May, as the police investigation was advancing, someone shot Perez and police began speaking with him about Bautista’s murder, Matias said. He exercised his right to remain silent.

During Perez’s bail hearing, Assistant Public Defender Mark Joslyn argued that the state’s case is based on the assumption that Perez knew what was going to happen when he pulled up next to Bautista. There was no gunshot residue in Perez’s area of the Jeep and there are no allegations that Perez fired any shots, Joslyn continued.

Judge Maryam Ahmad concluded the hearing by granting a state request to have Perez held without bail. He is charged with first-degree murder.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals who have been accused of murder, attempted murder, or shooting firearms toward people while on bond for a pending felony case. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people on felony bail is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has made arrests in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data. You can support CWBChicago’s work by becoming a subscriber today.

Related 2022 Stories

Related 2020 Stories

Related 2019 Stories

About CWBChicago 6321 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com