CHICAGO — New information has come our way about a string of burglaries targeting businesses, mostly bars and restaurants, on the North Side overnight.
An internal bulletin delivered to Chicago cops this morning links 12 break-ins in the Town Hall (19th) District to a four- or five-man crew that wore masks with different colored hoodies and used a dark-colored Kia Optima as a getaway car. The crew may be responsible for more burglaries at businesses located in other police districts.
CPD’s bulletin also confirms a detail we first reported earlier today: The burglars displayed a handgun after they encountered an employee at a bar they targeted in Roscoe Village.
CPD’s bulletin also confirms a detail we first reported earlier today: The burglars displayed a handgun after they encountered an employee during one of the break-ins. That happened at Roscoe Village Bar, 2159 West Addison, the bulletin said.
While the group wasn’t able to enter all of the businesses, the bulletin says they broke windows or glass storefronts at:
- Starbucks, 4557 North Lincoln
- Wild Goose Bar, 4265 North Lincoln
- Country Financial, 4306 North Lincoln
- Pastores Brunch, 4661 North Lincoln
- Market Square, 4701 North Lincoln
- Rocks North Center, 4138 North Lincoln
- Bad Apple Bar & Grill, 4300 North Lincoln
- Gannon’s Pub, 4264 North Lincoln
- Breakfast House, 3001 North Ashland
- Dreamtown Real Estate, 4553 North Lincoln
- Mangis Restaurant, 3801 North Lincoln
Most of the incidents occurred between 1 a.m. and 1:40 a.m., according to information police released to the media earlier today.
Tuesday’s spree is reminiscent of a similar, albeit smaller, string of burglaries that occurred along Lincoln Avenue on September 25.
Four men who zipped around in a Kia sedan threw bricks or rocks through the glass at three bars or restaurants in the early morning hours. Left Coast Cafe, 2878 North Lincoln; Cilantro’s, 2258 North Orchard; and Daily Bar, 4560 North Lincoln, were targeted.
Chicago police released this video of the burglary at Cilantro’s: