A 30-year-old man was shot when he approached a car that was blocking his path in a Rogers Park alley early Sunday, police said.
Patrol officers were in the immediate area at the time of the shooting and a CPD unit briefly followed an SUV that sped from the scene. But the car sped away from police and no arrests have been made.
The victim, who lives in the area, told police he approached a black car that was blocking the alley in the 1100 block of West Columbia around 4:12 a.m. Someone inside the vehicle began shooting at the man, who suffered graze wounds to his back and finger, according to a police report. One round also went through the windshield of the victim’s car.
Investigators found five shell casings in the alley.
An ambulance took the victim to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston for treatment. He was in good condition, police said.
Cops who saw the SUV speeding away from the scene followed it into an alley behind Pratt Avenue and south on Sheridan Road, but they did not pursue the car as it sped away, the CPD report said.
Six other people have been shot in Rogers Park since May 1:
- On May 22, a 16-year-old boy was shot and a 12-year-old girl was cut by flying glass after a drive-by gunman opened fire on a home in the 2000 block of West Touhy.
- Two men were injured in separate drive-by shootings late on May 15 and early on May 15, according to police. Both victims were in good condition.
- A 32-year-old man told police he was shot as he got out of his car in the 1500 block of West Howard around 8:30 p.m. Saturday, May 15.
- A 19-year-old man was shot as he stood in the 1400 block of West Jonquil Terrace around 2:06 a.m. May 19.
- A 27-year-old man was shot outside Pottawatomie Park on May 30.