Police are investigating after a man was shot by a gunman who fired on his car in Edgewater and then fired on him again in Uptown before the victim crashed on the 900 block of West Wilson early Friday.
Officially, Chicago police said in a media release that a 27-year-old man was shot while driving on the 1100 block of West Glenlake by someone who fired from another car about 3:38 a.m. The victim “drove off and struck a parked car at Wilson and Sheridan,” the statement continued.
EMS took the man to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition with a gunshot wound to his left shoulder.
However, CWBChicago has learned that after the initial shooting — just north of the Edgewater Whole Foods — other 911 caller reported shots fired on Marine Drive and in Uptown before the victim crashed.
Police found three shell casings near the crash site, which indicates more shots were fired at that location. CPD surveillance captured footage of the victim’s car being chased by a white SUV that continued west on Wilson Avenue after the crash. Cops also found four shell casings at the Edgewater crime scene.
Records show the victim is on parole for five armed robberies and he also picked up a felony gun case while on that parole in 2020. The status of the 2020 charges were not immediately available.
He is the seventh person shot in Edgewater this year, according to records maintained by CWBChicago. By comparison, five people were shot in Edgewater during all of last year. There were six shooting victims in the neighborhood during all of 2020, according to the city’s violence reduction dashboard.
Earlier this year in Edgewater:
- An armed robber shot a 60-year-old man who intervened in hold-up on the 5900 block of North Glenwood on January 13. Prosecutors charged a 17-year-old boy.
- On February 21, police said a man of unknown age was walking in the 5200 block of North Sheridan when he was shot around 4:23 p.m. EMS took him to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in fair condition with a gunshot wound to his left arm.
- On March 4, a 35-year-old man was shot during an attempted robbery while walking his dog on the 5200 block of North Winthrop, according to information from police and Ald. Harry Osterman (48th).
- Two people were shot during a fight inside an apartment building on the 6000 block of North Winthrop on April 24.
- On May 2, Brittany Kinlow was found fatally shot in a common area of an apartment building at 1062 West Bryn Mawr. Police reportedly believe she was killed by another resident of the building who was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound the next day.