Dakotah Earley, the 23-year-old culinary student who was shot three times by an armed robber in Lincoln Park on Friday, is on life support and remains in critical condition, according to his family.
The news came in an update on the GoFundMe page his brother established to help cover medical expenses and offset travel costs for his family, all of whom live out of town.
“We’ve been informed his left leg has too much blood pumping, which may require an amputation if it does not slow down,” the family said in an update Saturday morning. “He has lost part of his colon and will also lose part of his jaw where one of the gunshots went through.”
“We ARE NOT and WILL NOT lose hope or faith for Dakotah. Please continue to pray for him and over the team who is working with him, as well as the detectives.”
The family said Dakotah underwent two surgeries on Friday and another was scheduled for Saturday.
“The doctors believe he will require more [surgery] but are unsure at this time when those will occur.”
GoFundMe donations neared $41,000 as of Saturday evening, up Friday evening’s $900 total.
More than 650 donations have been made, including $5,000 from Parlor Hospitality Group, owner of Parlor Pizza, and $2,500 from Hogsalt Hospitality, which operates restaurants such as Au Cheval, Gilt Bar, and Green Street Smoked Meats.
“As stated previously, all donations will be given directly for Dakotah’s medical expenses and travel expenses for the family at this time,” the family reiterated Saturday.
“Thank you again for your support and love. We feel it all and we know Dakotah does too. -The Earley family ❤️”
- Man, 23, critically wounded in Lincoln Park shooting (May 6, 2022)
- Video: Armed robber shoots man 3x in Lincoln Park after demanding phone password (May 6, 2022)
- 2 nights of armed robberies across Lakeview and Lincoln Park ends with victim critically injured by gunman (May 6, 2022)
- ‘This lawlessness has to be stopped!’ Alderman demands action after a man is shot, gravely wounded during North Side robbery spree (May 6, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting, robbery victim is identified in GoFundMe campaign (May 6, 2022)
- Robbers who shot a man in Lincoln Park also fired shots at another victim Wednesday, CPD report says (May 7, 2022)