Police are investigating another shooting in the Loop this morning — the ninth for the downtown neighborhood since June 1.
Today’s shooting unfolded just after 2 a.m. on the 100 block of West Adams, steps from the W Hotel City Center’s front door. Police said a 25-year-old man got into an argument with a group of people when a woman pulled out a gun and shot him in the chest and arm. The Fire Department took him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition. Police said he does not appear to have a history of contact with CPD.
Police taped off the 100 block of West Adams as investigators spoke with witnesses, and an evidence technician worked on the sidewalk just west of the W’s marquee.
The hotel’s surveillance video reportedly shows the shooter getting into a black four-door car after the incident. Police said she is Black, about 5’8” tall, and has dreadlocks. She wore a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and a black hat.
Area Three detectives are investigating.
Today’s victim is the 15th person shot in the Loop so far this year. The neighborhood had recorded eight shooting victims at this point last year and three as of July 11, 2019.
The most recent shootings involve:
- a 40-year-old man was shot in the leg during an argument on the 400 block of South Wabash last Sunday morning. Police later released photos of the suspect, who remains at large.
- an armed robbery crew that shot a 39-year-old man during a cross-city crime spree on June 27.
- a pregnant woman who was shot in the leg inside a hotel on June 20.
- a man who was shot during an altercation at DuSable Harbor on June 13.
- a 23-year-old man who was killed when someone fired more than 60 shots on his car as he sat in the 600 block of South Wells on June 12
Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.