A carload of men robbed two victims at gunpoint in Lincoln Park early Monday. It happened in the same area where a two-night armed robbery binge that ended Friday morning with a 23-year-old man being shot and critically wounded.
The latest crimes occurred on the 900 block of West Armitage around 1:03 a.m. Two men were walking on the sidewalk when four male offenders stepped out of a gray SUV, said Kellie Bartoli, a CPD spokesperson.
One victim, a 26-year-old man, fell and was robbed at gunpoint of his wallet and cash, Bartoli said. The other victim, 25, ran away. He asked a passerby to call 911 and then took shelter at a nearby convenience store until police arrived.
Bartoli said neither victim was injured.
Officers at the scene said the robbers wore ski mask and all-black clothing. They were last seen heading north on Halsted Street in the SUV
Monday’s robberies unfolded a little more than a half-mile from where a gunman shot 23-year-old culinary student Dakotah Earley during a robbery Friday morning.
Earley’s family has been keeping the public updated about his condition on a GoFundMe page.
“We’ve been informed his left leg has too much blood pumping, which may require an amputation if it does not slow down,” the family said in an update Saturday morning. “He has lost part of his colon and will also lose part of his jaw where one of the gunshots went through.”
“We ARE NOT and WILL NOT lose hope or faith for Dakotah. Please continue to pray for him and over the team who is working with him, as well as the detectives.”
Police believe the robbery crew that shot Earley committed at least seven other armed robberies in Lakeview and Lincoln Park between Wednesday night and Friday.
A CPD internal report said the crew fired shots at another robbery victim in the 2600 block of North Bosworth on Wednesday evening, CWBChicago reported. That victim was not injured.
The 30-year-old man reported that three masked men confronted him at gunpoint after they emerged from a car, police spokesperson Bartoli said Friday morning. They demanded the man’s property. When he refused, one of them hit him in the head with a pistol, according to Bartoli. They fled when he refused to cooperate a second time — but fired shots at him as he got away, the CPD report said.
- Man, 23, critically wounded in Lincoln Park shooting (May 6, 2022)
- Video: Armed robber shoots man 3x in Lincoln Park after demanding phone password (May 6, 2022)
- 2 nights of armed robberies across Lakeview and Lincoln Park ends with victim critically injured by gunman (May 6, 2022)
- ‘This lawlessness has to be stopped!’ Alderman demands action after a man is shot, gravely wounded during North Side robbery spree (May 6, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting, robbery victim is identified in GoFundMe campaign (May 6, 2022)
- Robbers who shot a man in Lincoln Park also fired shots at another victim Wednesday, CPD report says (May 7, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting victim is on life support, family says: ‘We ARE NOT and WILL NOT lose hope or faith for Dakotah’ (May 7, 2022)