CHICAGO — An Illinois Department of Transportation “Minuteman” and a group of bar patrons are among the latest victims of armed robbery crews in Chicago.
The latest spree began Monday night and stretched into the early morning. Once again, neighborhoods in the West Town community area were hardest hit.
The IDOT worker was sitting inside his truck at the Shell gas station on Armitage, just off the Kennedy Expressway, when two men walked up and robbed him at gunpoint around 12:06 a.m. Chicago police said the robbers ran from the scene and escaped in a black Chrysler 300. They got the victim’s lunch and about $20 cash.
Earlier, three men were robbed at gunpoint as they stood outside Small Bar, 2954 North Albany, in Logan Square. According to a CPD media statement, four robbers exited a white sedan and robbed the group at gunpoint around 10:32 p.m.
An officer at the scene described the robbery crew as Black males wearing ski masks and black hoodies traveling in a white Kia.
Another man was robbed about the same time in the 2800 block of North Albany. A group of men exited a white sedan and put a gun to his head as they took his wallet.
He offered similar descriptions of the men and the car but added that the offenders wore black gloves, were armed with at least one rifle, and stood 5’8″ to 5’10” tall, according to a police report.
A 29-year-old man was robbed as he walked in the 2300 block of West Thomas around 10:30 p.m. Police said a white sedan pulled up, and four young males got out carrying rifles and handguns. They took the victim’s property and fled in a white Kia, according to a CPD media statement.
At 10:45 p.m., a female security guard was robbed as she entered a housing complex in the 1500 block of West Warren. Police said four or five men armed with rifles and pistols exited a white sedan, struck her in the face, and took her purse.
More robberies were reported early this morning.
At about 1:30 a.m., three robbers in a white vehicle robbed and pistol-whipped a man in the 2200 block of North Rockwell in Logan Square.
A few minutes later, a group of men exited a dark sedan at the intersection of Belmont and Milwaukee in Avondale and robbed another man at gunpoint.
Police have not announced any arrests.
Armed robbery reports are up 25% from last year and up 33% from 2019 across Chicago, according to data released by the police department on Monday. But the two districts where last night’s robberies occurred are seeing even bigger increases.
Robberies are up 58% this year in the Near West (12th) District. They’re up 82% compared to 2019.
In the Shakespeare (14th) District, robberies are up 56% from last year and up 109% compared to 2019.
The dramatic increases are primarily due to relentless waves of robbery sprees in which armed men, usually traveling in stolen Kias or Hyundais, commit several robberies in short spans of time. Police have made some arrests, but not enough to slow the crime wave.
West Town, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square have been especially hard-hit. Here are some of our recent stories:
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street hold-ups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)