Doctors postponed a third surgery planned for Lincoln Park shooting victim Dakotah Earley on Saturday because his body was too weak to handle the procedure, the 23-year-old’s family said in a GoFundMe update.
Earley, who moved to Chicago late last year to begin a culinary career, was shot three times in a horrifying robbery that was caught on surveillance video at the corner of Webster and Wayne around 3:05 a.m Friday. Police believe the offenders committed at least seven other robberies in the area recently.
“He was scheduled for a surgery to close his stomach up after it was cut open to control the blood,” the family’s update said Sunday. “His body was too weak.”
“[Saturday] afternoon, we were notified his kidneys were failing and he needed to be placed on dialysis. He began dialysis and has done well on it so far,” the update continued.
In an earlier message, the family said Dakotah remained on life support in critical condition.
“His left leg has too much blood pumping, which may require an amputation if it does not slow down. He has lost part of his colon and will also lose part of his jaw where one of the gunshots went through,” the family said Saturday evening.
On Sunday, his leg condition had not changed, they said.
“We strongly believe the prayers we are receiving are being heard and Dakotah is fighting as hard as he can right now.”
Dakotah’s brother, DaShawn, told ABC7 that Dakotah had been living with his grandmother and working at the Greater Chicago Food Depository since moving here from Atlanta six months ago.
“And being 23, you want to figure out what you’ve got going on, what you want to do in life,” Dashawn said.
Dakotah’s mother has been with her son nearly non-stop since he arrived at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
“She’s still just reeling over the fact that her son is fighting for his life right now,” DaShawn told the station. “Watching that video, you’re just at a loss for words because it’s like, when you see it, it’s just ‘wow.’ I can’t believe they did that.”
The GoFundMe campaign’s total sat at $66,445 as of Monday morning, well above its initial $20,000 goal.
“All donations will be given directly for Dakotah’s medical expenses and travel expenses for the family at this time,” the campaign said.
- Man, 23, critically wounded in Lincoln Park shooting (May 6, 2022)
- Video: Armed robber shoots man 3x in Lincoln Park after demanding phone password (May 6, 2022)
- 2 nights of armed robberies across Lakeview and Lincoln Park ends with victim critically injured by gunman (May 6, 2022)
- ‘This lawlessness has to be stopped!’ Alderman demands action after a man is shot, gravely wounded during North Side robbery spree (May 6, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting, robbery victim is identified in GoFundMe campaign (May 6, 2022)
- Robbers who shot a man in Lincoln Park also fired shots at another victim Wednesday, CPD report says (May 7, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting victim is on life support, family says: ‘We ARE NOT and WILL NOT lose hope or faith for Dakotah’ (May 7, 2022)
- 2 more men robbed at gunpoint in Lincoln Park overnight (May 9, 2022)
Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.