A man on bail for aggravated assault of a police officer and another man who was AWOL with a pending felony case are the 23rd and 24th persons charged with killing, shooting, or trying to shoot someone in Chicago this year while on bond for felonies, according to records maintained by CWBChicago.
Lekeon Gibson, 30, shot a man four times last month while on bond for felony aggravated assault of a police officer, according to prosecutors.
The alleged victim was riding a four-wheeler in the street near the 1900 block of South Trumbull when he noticed a Dodge Durango was following him — and its passenger was pointing a handgun at him — around 1 p.m. on May 30, according to police and prosecutors.
He tried to get away, but he heard gunfire and was struck by bullets in his testicles, buttocks, and knee, prosecutors said.
Police arrived in time to see the Durango speed from the scene. They followed the SUV until the passenger bailed out and ran through a park. The CPD helicopter helped police find Gibson, who was hiding on a stairwell, prosecutors said. Cops located a handgun near a spot where the helicopter crew allegedly saw Gibson briefly stop running during his escape attempt.
Investigators also found shell casings inside the Durango and at the shooting scene, prosecutors said. A second gun was allegedly found near the SUV’s center console, but the driver managed to escape. Police said the victim identified Gibson as the shooter.
Gibson has four felony convictions, including reckless discharge of a firearm and aggravated battery, prosecutors said. Just two months after he was paroled in the reckless discharge case, he was arrested for allegedly threatening a CPD sergeant who was trying to apprehend a juvenile that was allegedly seen running with a handgun, according to prosecutors.
Judge Arthur Willis released Gibson on his own recognizance in that case.
He is now charged with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm in the shooting. His defense lawyer said the shooting “doesn’t make any sense…what is the connection?”
But Judge Mary Marubio was not swayed.
“You have discharged a weapon before. You were discharged from parole for that case in August 2020…not even a year ago,” Marubio said before ordering Gibson held without bail in the shooting and held without bail for violating the terms of his release in the aggravated assault case.
The second man, 27-year-old Eric Jones of Lake County, is accused of shooting a man in the South Loop on June 4..
Prosecutors said video showed a group of people standing and talking on the 2100 block of South Michigan around 11:08 p.m. when Jones began yelling profanities and shot at them. A 30-year-old Downers Grove man in the group fell to the ground and Jones continued firing at him, prosecutors alleged. A bullet shattered the victim’s thigh bone and severed an artery, according to prosecutors.
Police arrested Jones after vehicle and foot pursuits, prosecutors said. They found a gun in the car he allegedly bailed from and a second gun along the path he ran before police arrested him. Three witnesses identified Jones as the shooter, prosecutors said.
Jones, a father of four, is on disability because he is experiencing complications from a gunshot wound, according to his public defender.
At the time of the shooting, Jones was AWOL on a felony false identification case. He reportedly has a pending felony case in Michigan for conducting a criminal enterprise, and he’s been to prison in Illinois for escaping electronic monitoring, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and possessing an altered ID.
Prosecutors said he gave police a fake name and a false ID when they arrested him after the shooting.
Jones is charged with aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, and possessing a fraudulent ID. Judge Susana Ortiz ordered him held without bail in the shooting and for violating the terms of bond in his previous false identification case.
- #1: 16-year-old charged with shooting man during robbery while awaiting trial for felony (January 12, 2021)
- #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say (January 20, 2021)
- #3: On bail for 3 separate felony cases, “fanged” man now charged with killing 12-year-old in DUI crash (January 23, 2021)
- #4: Man on affordable bail for his 3rd felony gun case is charged with weekend murder (January 28, 2021)
- #5: Man charged with murder while on bail for 3rd gun case and escape (February 5, 2021)
- #6: Man, on bail for attempted murder and robbery, charged with killing woman while speeding away from police traffic stop (February 25, 2021)
- #7: Teen accused of shooting driver during Wednesday carjacking is awaiting trial for 3 felonies, prosecutors say (February 25, 2021)
- #8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail (March 4, 2021)
- #9: On bail for five burglaries, man set fire to home, killing girlfriend and 10-year-old girl, prosecutors say (March 12, 2021)
- #10: Man, on bail for gun case, is charged with attempted murder for shooting at carjacking victims (March 17, 2021)
- #11: Man who shot cop and passerby hoped to be killed by CPD, prosecutors say (March 20, 2021)
- #12: Man charged with shooting co-worker while on affordable bail for Lincoln Park carjacking (April 2, 2021)
- #13 and #14: Two more men charged with shooting people in Chicago while on bail for felony cases (April 4, 2021)
- #15: Man murdered childhood friend while awaiting trial on federal gun charges, prosecutors say (April 13, 2021)
- #16: Man chased down and killed victim while on electronic monitoring for gun case, prosecutors say (April 18, 2021)
- #17: 16-year-old charged with murder, robbery in alleged pot dealer rip-off (April 19, 2021)
- #18: Man charged murder of 7-year-old at McDonald’s drive-thru has 2 pending felony cases, prosecutors say (April 25, 2021)
- #19: Second man charged with killing 7-year-old at McDonald’s was on 4 felony bonds, including robbery and gun cases (May 1, 2021)
- #20: Gunman in Diversey River Bowl shoot-out was on bail for another gun case, prosecutors say (June 2, 2021)
- #21: Man’s accused of shooting up another car in traffic — while on bond for gun case (June 10, 2021)
- #22: Man charged with attempted murder of CTA bus driver was AWOL in felony DUI case, prosecutors say (June 10, 2021)