Update 8:23 p.m. — The family has shared more encouraging news since this story was published:
Today has been an amazing day for Dakotah! He briefly opened his eyes after hearing his mom call his name earlier. He also gave the doctor an unexpected thumbs up! We are so proud of him and how hard he is fighting with each day that passes. We know this journey of recovery will be long for him, but we are so thankful that he has not given up.
There is good news to report on Dakotah Earley’s fight to recover after being critically wounded by an armed robber who shot him in Lincoln Park on Friday morning.
Family members told GoFundMe supporters yesterday morning that surgeons would amputate Dakotah’s left foot due to lack of blood flow. But doctors changed their mind, at least for now, after seeing improvement through an alternate treatment, his brother, DaShawn, said in a nighttime update.
“They were able to see some improvement within the foot after connecting it to some sort of oxygen machine. They will continue to monitor it and should come to a decision within the next several days with what needs to happen,” DaShawn Earley, brother of Dakotah, said in his latest post.
“Although Dakotah’s condition remains critical, his abdomen surgery was successful today,” DaShawn continued. Doctors opened Dakotah’s stomach to control bleeding after he arrived at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
Earlier in the day, DaShawn said doctors had grown optimistic about saving his brother’s left leg, which was at risk of amputation over the weekend.
Dakotah, 23, has undergone at least three surgeries so far. His family has said he lost part of his colon and will lose part of his jaw that a bullet struck.
“We again ask you to pray for the medical professionals who are caring for Dakotah, as well as the law enforcement team who are working diligently to solve this case,” DaShawn said Monday night. “We look forward to continue sharing more positive updates with all of you!”
The family’s campaign to raise funds for Dakotah’s medical bills and travel expenses for out-of-town relatives has raised nearly $77,000 as of Tuesday morning.
- Man, 23, critically wounded in Lincoln Park shooting (May 6, 2022)
- Video: Armed robber shoots man 3x in Lincoln Park after demanding phone password (May 6, 2022)
- 2 nights of armed robberies across Lakeview and Lincoln Park ends with victim critically injured by gunman (May 6, 2022)
- ‘This lawlessness has to be stopped!’ Alderman demands action after a man is shot, gravely wounded during North Side robbery spree (May 6, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting, robbery victim is identified in GoFundMe campaign (May 6, 2022)
- Robbers who shot a man in Lincoln Park also fired shots at another victim Wednesday, CPD report says (May 7, 2022)
- Lincoln Park shooting victim is on life support, family says: ‘We ARE NOT and WILL NOT lose hope or faith for Dakotah’ (May 7, 2022)
- 2 more men robbed at gunpoint in Lincoln Park overnight (May 9, 2022)
- Weekend surgery postponed for Lincoln Park shooting victim, family says in update. ‘Dakotah is fighting as hard as he can right now.’ (May 9, 2022)