CHICAGO — A suspect is in custody after a Lincoln Park man was carjacked Tuesday evening, Chicago police say. But armed robbery crews continue to plague West Town neighborhoods, where 11 people were robbed in about 45 minutes on Tuesday evening.
In Lincoln Park, police said a gunman confronted a 31-year-old man as the victim stepped out of a black 2021 Audi in the 2200 block of North Seminary around 6:52 p.m. Tuesday.
The robber took the victim’s property and drove away with the Audi.
But he picked a bad night to go carjacking because a law enforcement task force comprised of a high-tech federal helicopter, an Illinois State Police airplane, and a dedicated team of ground units was operating in the city.
The task force located and tracked the Audi and arrested its driver near 47th Street and Martin Luther King Drive. Charges were pending.
“Major assist on this one from IL State Police, who used their pursuit capability to follow these fleeing, violent armed robbers down the Dan Ryan,” Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd) tweeted Tuesday night.
Within minutes of the Lincoln Park carjacking, another robbery spree unfolded in West Town, where robbery reports are up 43% from last year and up 107% versus 2019, according to the city’s data.
The crimes began just before 7 p.m. when a masked gunman robbed a woman of her purse in the 800 block of North Hoyne. A similar holdup quickly followed that in the 900 block of North Winchester.
Another woman was robbed shortly after 7 p.m. near Elizabeth and Fry.
A 25-year-old man was robbed as he stood outside his car at a carwash in the 2300 block of West Grand at 7:12 p.m., according to police.
CPD reports show that two armed men jumped out of a black SUV and robbed a woman at Huron and Campbell at about 7:15 p.m.
Similar crimes occurred in the 1400 block of West Division, the 800 block of North Fairfield, and the 1500 block of West Erie.
Four armed men put guns to a man’s head near Wabansia and Rockwell during a robbery. Again, they arrived and departed in a dark-colored SUV.
More robberies were reported in the 1500 block of West Erie, the 600 block of North Rockwell, and the 1300 block of West Erie.
By 7:35, it was over. Eleven robberies. About one every four minutes.
No arrests have been announced in connection with the spree.
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)