CHICAGO — Thank goodness the Illinois State Police are allowed to chase violent criminals. Without them, Chicago might never get a handle on its ongoing armed robbery nightmare.
Overnight, state troopers once again pursued and arrested a suspect who may be responsible for six armed robberies in West Ridge over the past two nights.
Chicago police responded to two robberies late Thursday: in the 2600 block of West Devon around 11 p.m. and near Estes and Washtenaw a few minutes later.
Both victims reported that a man driving a dark-colored SUV robbed them at gunpoint on the street. CPD quickly surmised that the SUV was the Toyota RAV4, recently stolen from Lincolnwood, that was used in four robberies the night before.
State troopers spotted the RAV4 and launched a pursuit, a snippet of which was posted to Twitter:
Police eventually caught the driver near the intersection of Byron and Neva in Dunning just before midnight. At least one of last night’s victims identified him as the person who robbed them.
On Tuesday night, four more robberies were reported in under an hour, all within a few blocks of each other in West Ridge.
CPD released a community alert about those crimes yesterday, saying they occurred between 11:23 p.m. and about midnight in the 6200 block of North Talman, the 6300 block of North Rockwell, and twice in the 6300 block of North California.
All of Tuesday’s holdups involved a solo gunman who traveled in a dark SUV, CPD said.
ISP troopers, whose pursuit policy is far less restrictive than CPD’s, chased down a carload of robbery suspects earlier this week, too. Two boys, ages 15 and 16, who were in the vehicle, are charged with two counts of armed robbery and gun possession.
The pair was part of a three-person crew that first robbed a 36-year-old woman around 9:15 p.m. in the 1600 block of North Rockwell in Wicker Park, according to CPD. Less than ten minutes later, they robbed a 51-year-old woman in the 2000 block of North Mozart in Logan Square. Police said the woman was walking down the street when two males exited a white SUV with rifles and demanded her property.
CPD officers spotted the SUV, a white Ford Escape, in the area about five minutes later. ISP moved in and began the pursuit, which ended when the robbers crashed into an oncoming vehicle near Western and Hubbard around 9:35 p.m.
Here is some of our recent coverage of the city’s ongoing robbery spree problem:
- Armed men robbed 2 bars and their customers overnight, Chicago police say (August 31, 2023)
- Boys, ages 15 and 16, charged with Wicker Park, Logan Square robberies: Chicago police (August 29, 2023)
- Police arrest 1 robbery crew, but another hit the streets overnight as crime stats soar (August 29, 2023)
- Video: Armed robbery crew claims 3 victims in 25 seconds at Logan Square auto shop (August 28, 2023)
- TV news crew robbed while reporting on Chicago robbery sprees; armed men targeted at least 30 people in about 12 hours (August 28, 2023)
- Surveillance pix show armed men robbing Logan Square auto shop (August 27, 2023)
- Good news: Chicago cops have captured a prolific armed robbery crew, but at least 2 more are still on the job (August 27, 2023)
- Shot fired during Wicker Park robbery as holdup sprees continue (August 24, 2023)
- At least 23 armed robberies reported Sunday as Chicago cops again see a robbery in progress, but don’t chase the offenders (August 21, 2023)
- The armed holdups keep happening, but the robbers may be changing the script (August 18, 2023)
- Chicago cops watch armed robbery in progress, but supervisor orders them NOT to chase the criminals; at least 11 people robbed in overnight spree (August 16, 2023)
- Armed men rob at least 11 people in 2-hour crime spree, Chicago police say (August 13, 2023)
- 3 suspects detained after Thursday afternoon robbery sprees in Logan Square, West Side (August 11, 2023)
- 2 robbed, 1 shot in about 20 minutes overnight (August 10, 2023)
- At least 13 people robbed in overnight spree; Troopers chase suspects, seize AK-47, but no arrests announced (August 9, 2023)
- Off-duty cop, 3 bicyclists, and a concealed carry holder are among the victims targeted in Chicago’s latest robbery sprees (August 8, 2023)
- As armed men commit 13 robberies at a time, Chicago alderman says ‘root causes’ must be addressed (August 7, 2023)
- Man shot during robbery in Logan Square is at least the 3rd person shot during holdups this week (August 6, 2023)
- Two-car robbery team struck at least 14 times on Thursday. And one was caught on video (August 4, 2023)
- Man shot in West Loop told police he thought gunman was trying to rob him (August 4, 2023)
- Daytime robbery sprees break out on Thursday; no arrests (August 3, 2023)
- Another night of armed robberies and Chicago cops are again ordered not to chase the offenders (August 2, 2023)
- Rideshare driver among 8 robbed by armed men in stolen Hyundai; shots fired (August 1, 2023)
- Carjackers shoot man in Bucktown, two more robberies reported nearby (July 31, 2023)
- Gunmen targeted victims at bank ATMs during Sunday afternoon robbery spree, Chicago police say (July 31)
- At least 14 robbed Friday in morning, nighttime holdup sprees (July 29, 2023)
- 14-year-old committed 12 armed robberies in 45 minutes, Chicago police say (July 26, 2023)
- 4 armed robbery suspects in custody after crashing on Eisenhower Expressway (July 25, 2023)
- 12-year-old boy gets mugged as Chicago’s robbery surge continues (July 24, 2023)
- As armed robberies continue, an alderman promises police have a ‘concrete and collaborative plan’ (July 22, 2023)
- Daylight robberies return to West Loop, Logan Square; cops warn of holdup crew responsible for 60+ crimes (July 20, 2023)
- Daytime robbery spree ends with arrest after Chicago police supervisor authorizes vehicle pursuit (July 19, 2023)
- 2 more off-duty cops are robbed during overnight robbery spree that claimed at least 5 victims (July 17, 2023)
- Off-duty cop robbed in River North, woman carjacked in Lincoln Park, construction crew targeted in Logan Square as holdup wave rolls on (July 15, 2023)
- Robberies reported in Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North overnight as cops try to contain surging crime wave (July 13, 2023)
- Boy, 17, charged with mugging man near Daley Plaza as Divvy bike-riding robbers continue to hit the Loop (July 10, 2023)
- Dozens of victims robbed overnight as armed crews run rampant across Chicago (July 9, 2023)
- More (Yes, MORE) robberies reported in Bucktown, Logan Square, Humboldt Park (July 8, 2023)
- At least 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in Logan Square and Humboldt Park overnight (July 7, 2023)
- Businesses, customers robbed in overnight holdup spree in Logan Square, Lakeview (July 6, 2023)
- 8 women robbed in 11 minutes overnight as Lincoln Park robbery problem grows and grows (July 4, 2023)
- Rifle-toting crew robs 10 people across Chicago on Monday morning (July 3, 2023)
- 3 more robbed in Lincoln Park overnight as crime pattern keeps growing (June 30, 2023)
- DePaul student among 4 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 29, 2023)
- Armed men claim at least 8 victims in overnight robbery, carjacking spree (June 24, 2023)