CHICAGO — Logan Square was hit with another robbery spree on Thursday morning, an hour-long string of armed holdups that claimed at least nine victims, according to preliminary Chicago police reports. In one case, the offenders intentionally struck a victim with a newly hijacked car.
Beginning just before 5 a.m., an all-too-familiar pattern repeated itself as two or three masked men jumped out of cars to rob people.
In one of the initial incidents, robbers confronted a man working at a truck rental company in the 200 block of North Western and demanded his wallet. But he didn’t have it with him, and they fled in a Chrysler 300 without getting anything from him.
At about the same time, the Chrysler rolled onto the 2300 block of West Walnut. They succeeded in getting a wallet from a man they threatened with guns there.
Shortly after 5 o’clock, two men assaulted a woman and took her white 2017 Lincoln sedan in the 1400 block of West Leamington. The car was soon being used to commit more holdups:
- A man and woman were robbed around 5:12 a.m. in the 3800 block of West George in Logan Square.
- Armed robbers struck a man in the face and took his wallet and phone in the 3500 block of West Medill around 5:25 a.m.
- Around the same time, another robbery occurred in the 3300 block of West Armitage
- Another man was physically attacked and robbed near Hamlin and Altgeld at about 5:30 a.m.
- In the 3200 block of West Cortland, two men robbed a man of his wallet and phone around 5:30 a.m. Officers said the robbers intentionally struck the victim with the carjacked Lincoln. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Two more robberies soon followed: in the 1900 block of North Springfield and the 1600 block of North Humboldt Boulevard.
Police found the Lincoln abandoned in an alley behind the 900 block of North LeClaire shortly after 7 a.m.
In a community alert, Chicago police described the suspects as two Black men between 18 and 25 years old wearing black ski masks, black joggers, black jeans, and black hoodies. They are slim and stand 5’9″ to 6 feet tall.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)