CHICAGO — An armed robbery crew that intentionally ran over a victim with their getaway car in Logan Square on Sunday is suspected of committing more holdups last night.
Chicago police said a man was checking his tire pressure in the 1700 block of North Hermitage when a red sedan pulled up beside him around 9:34 p.m. Two gunmen exited the red vehicle, put a pistol to his chest, and took his wallet.
Moments before that robbery, a cop on patrol radioed that she saw a red Hyundai traveling in the area of North Avenue and Leavitt Street that was suspected of being involved in a series of armed robberies on Sunday.
It has no license plates, a broken side window, and heavy damage to the body.
More robberies followed on Monday night: two women had their wallets and computers taken in the 4800 block of West Wellington; up to five armed men took a victim’s wallet near Dickens and Leclaire; and another man was robbed by two armed men in the 1800 block of North Monticello.
The red Hyundai was seen at the Monticello incident. It was used in an hours-long robbery spree Sunday evening that culminated with a man being badly injured after they intentionally ran over him with the car.
Four men in the Hyundai tried to rob the man in the 3200 block of West George around 6 p.m., according to Chicago police. They mowed him down when he tried to run away.
An officer at the scene said the victim suffered chest injuries and a compound leg fracture. The police spokesperson said he was in fair condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center with a fractured ankle.
Armed robbers intentionally hit another robbery victim in Logan Square on Thursday morning.
In addition to several robberies before the man was run over, the red Hyundai crew is also suspected of robbing two women in Wicker Park later on Sunday.
Chicago police said two 25-year-old women were parking in the 1500 block of North Bell when two men exited a red car and took their purses, wallets, and phones at gunpoint.
For more than two hours leading up to the robbery that left the victim injured on George Street, Chicago police responded to at least seven armed robberies involving groups of armed, masked men who jumped out of red sedans to rob people.
According to preliminary information, the holdups began around 3:45 p.m. in the 800 block of North Marshfield in West Town. Minutes later, two women were robbed at gunpoint near the 1300 block of North Wood. Police learned that one of the robbers had blond dreadlocks.
At about 4 p.m., four men in a red car robbed a man behind the 2800 block of North Richmond. Again, one of the robbers appeared to have blond dreadlocks or dreads with blond highlights, according to an officer at the scene.
Another robbery occurred in the 3200 block of North Linder in Belmont Cragin around 4:15 p.m.
Following that, a robbery occurred outside the Chase Bank at 4440 West North Avenue in Humboldt Park. The offenders put a gun to a man’s face as he exited the ATM. A preliminary report said they took his money and robbed another man, too.
Targeting victims at bank ATMs has been an increasingly popular tactic with armed robbery crews in the area.
Minutes before the robbery ended with the victim being run over, a woman was robbed by three men who pointed a gun at her in the 1600 block of North Honore in Bucktown.
At about 5:55 p.m., four men exited a red sedan to rob two women in the 3000 block of West Schubert.
Another robbery turned violent at 11:55 p.m. Saturday in Humboldt Park.
A 24-year-old concealed carry holder was standing outside of a vehicle in the 3300 block of West Beach when he saw two men get out of a silver sedan. He saw the men pull out firearms and open a woman’s car door nearby, police said.
The robbers shot at the concealed carry holder when he tried to intervene in the robbery. He returned fire, and a shootout ensued, according to CPD. No injuries were reported, but the offenders left a gun behind and crashed their getaway car, a stolen 2018 Hyundai. They may have fled the area on foot.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)