CHICAGO — A 14-year-old is believed to be in custody after another armed robbery spree rolled across Logan Square and West Town on Tuesday morning. If the arrest pans out, it will be a piece of welcomed good news for one of the most robbery-plagued neighborhoods in Chicago.
Surveillance cameras recorded at least one of the robberies, which claimed five victims, beginning shortly before 10 a.m. outside PNC Bank, 2300 North Western.
Two armed men exited a black SUV to rob a woman of cash and her purse, according to a Chicago police report. She was a customer of the bank, one of the latest to be targeted outside of banks and ATMs in the area.
A few minutes later, three men in a dark SUV cut off a 66-year-old man as he walked in the 2300 block of North Maplewood. They emerged from the vehicle with guns, took his property, and then sped away.
The holdup was caught on video. Watch:
Another robbery occurred outside a different PNC bank around 10 a.m. This one happened at the 3820 West Belmont location. Two masked, armed men in a black SUV put a gun to a man’s head and took his cash.
About 20 minutes later, a man was robbed outside his workplace in the 200 block of North Maplewood in West Town. Again, armed men traveling in a black SUV were responsible.
A source familiar with the situation said Chicago police officers detained a 14-year-old boy in connection with the robbery on Maplewood shortly before noon near Douglas and Christina. That’s not far from the 1500 and 1600 blocks of South Drake, long considered ground zero for the city’s many prolific robbery crews.
Officially, however, a Chicago police spokesperson could not confirm that anyone was in custody for the crime.
Robbery reports are up 25% from last year in Chicago. They’re up 36% compared to 2019.
The real story, though, is what’s happening in the areas where last night’s sprees occurred.
Robberies are up 58% this year in CPD’s Shakespeare (14th) District and up 114% versus 2019, according to the police department’s latest statistics report. Based in Logan Square, Shakespeare’s officers serve nearby neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, and part of Humboldt Park.
Next door, in the Near West (12th) District, which includes areas from Humboldt Park to the West Loop, robberies have increased by 63% this year. They’re up 95% compared to 2019.
Just west of the 12th District, the Grand Central (25th) District is even worse, with robberies up 129% from 2022 and 111% compared to 2019.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)