CHICAGO — Two carloads of armed robbery suspects fired shots in several locations around Logan Square on Sunday morning, Chicago police sources confirm. Fortunately, no injuries were reported, and even better, police arrested three people after one of the cars crashed on the West Side.
One of the vehicles, a Ford Edge, was carjacked from its owner in the 3500 block of North Pulaski around 2:30 a.m., according to Chicago police records. The victim told police that two cars blocked him in, and armed men stepped out of the vehicles to take his SUV. That was one of several robberies and carjackings reported in the area overnight.
The gunfire began when the Ford Edge cut off another driver near Armitage and Kimball around 6:30 a.m. Witnesses told police five men in the Edge started shooting at the other car.
About 15 minutes later, several 911 callers reported seeing the occupants of two SUVs firing shots as the vehicles sped through the intersection of Altgeld and Maplewood.
They weren’t done.
Shortly before 7 a.m., witnesses told police that two SUVs fired shots while traveling near Fullerton and Campbell.
Finally, around 7:48 a.m., a Chicago police surveillance camera was rolling as a black Jeep and the Ford Edge stopped in the intersection of North and Western avenues. Video showed “several” armed men get out of the vehicles while waving guns, including at least one rifle, in the middle of the street, according to an officer who reviewed the footage.
Chicago police found the hijacked Ford Edge in the 4000 block of West Grand within an hour. There were shell casings inside the car, according to an officer at the scene.
Then, around 9 p.m., police detained three people who ran from a black 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee after it crashed in the 5000 block of West Division. The SUV was taken from the 2200 block of North Keystone earlier in the morning. Cops believe the Jeep is the car that was involved in the shooting incidents, along with the Ford Edge.
We will post an update if prosecutors approve any charges against the people police arrested.
Robberies in Logan Square, West Town, and Humboldt Park have been surging for months, driven by relentless waves of robbery sprees.
The crimes have continued even after a local alderman, Daniel La Spata, assured his constituents in July that police had crafted a “concrete and collaborative plan” to address the problem. Robberies in La Spata’s ward are up another 140% since his announcement.
A coalition of neighborhood groups is calling on city and Cook County officials to address “dramatic increases in violent crime,” especially armed robberies, in West Town, Logan Square, Wicker Park, and adjoining neighborhoods.
Recent robbery spree coverage
- 2 men shot after tracking down robbery crew that mugged their relatives: Chicago police reports (October 29, 2023)
- Robbery, carjacking crews return to Logan Square and West Town; at least 12 victims in latest sprees (October 29, 2023)
- Robberies up 140% since alderman announced “concrete and collaborative plan” to stop them (October 27, 2023)
- West Town community groups call on city, county to take action on surging violent crime (October 26, 2023)
- Boy, 14, robbed 6 people in Tuesday morning crime spree: Chicago police (October 25, 2023)
- Bucktown, Logan Square slammed with more robberies overnight (October 25, 2023)
- 14-year-old detained after another robbery spree hits Logan Square (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers who drove over a victim Sunday returned for more holdups last night (October 24, 2023)
- Armed robbers intentionally run over victim in Logan Square, capping a 3-hour crime spree (October 22, 2023)
- Shootout between robbers, concealed carry holder caps another night of robbery sprees in Humboldt Park, Bucktown (October 22, 2023)
- At least 12 more people robbed in holdup sprees on Friday afternoon, evening (October 21, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after robbers take puppy at gunpoint; more holdups reported in Logan Square (October 20, 2023)
- 9 armed robberies, carjackings reported in about an hour on Thursday morning (October 19, 2023)
- 2 more liquor stores robbed in Logan Square (October 19, 2023)
- 7 liquor stores robbed in 2-hour spree Saturday evening (October 15, 2023)
- Cops arrest 2 after daytime armed robberies in Logan Square (October 14, 2023)
- 4 liquor stores, customers robbed in less than an hour on Wednesday night (October 12, 2023)
- Lincoln Park carjacker in custody, but West Town robbery crew claims 11 victims in 40 minutes (October 11, 2023)
- Armed robbery crew has killed 2 people this week, Chicago cops are warned (October 11, 2023)
- On-duty IDOT Minuteman, bar patrons among victims in overnight robbery sprees (October 10, 2023)
- At least 6 robbed in Medical District this morning; gun fires during West Town carjacking attempt (October 9, 2023)
- Four 15-year-olds charged with robbery spree along the Brown Line (October 9, 2023)
- Strings of store robberies, street holdups reported Friday night (October 7, 2023)
- 7 victims targeted in overnight robbery spree, driver carjacked in West Loop (October 6, 2023)
- 15-year-old robbed 5 people in armed crime spree, Chicago police say (October 6, 2023)
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)